The Everything Tote from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross.
Need 1 yard of each fabric. After cutting pattern pieces, 1 tote body, 1 tote lining, 1 or more pockets using body fabric ( I did two) , 2 bindings from outer and inner fabric, 2 handles from outer and inner fabric.
1. iron 3 sides of pocket with 1/4 inch seam, then fold down 1/2 seam for pocket's top edge and stitch across. Sew together with lining if desired.
2. place pocket 3 1/2 inches down, center pocket on lining fabric center. sew three sides and add any pocket dividing sections.
3. Fold the tote with right sides facing and sew side seams, 3/8 inch. repeat with lining fabric.
4. Create the boxed corners. 2 1/2 inches from corner. to not trim. repeat with tote lining.
5. Align the inner and outer tote with right sides out. align the side seam and pin.
6. baste stitch the arm area and pull thread to create gathers until the arm area measure 12 inches.
7. prepare binding and handles. sew longs sides with a 1/4 seam, leave short ends open. Turn rights side out and press. Then press again in half to aid in stitching next step. On long handles tuck in raw short edge 1/2 inch and press.
8. Pin binding and sew as close to binding edge as desired on the lining side to secure the binding. Then fold over in half and stitch down on the right side. Repeat other side. Trim excess so it will hide nicely in the handle.
9. Pin handles starting at side seam. sew from lining side to secure. Then fold over and sew right side down. Repeat for all 4 sides. Sew open edge at side seam closed by hand.
excellent notes on pattern corrections here.
Technorati Tags: sewing